Tuesday, September 18, 2012

School!!!!

Delilah officially started school this year!  She is in pre-K at a local elementary school and she absolutely loves it. Her school is only a few blocks away from both our home and Chris's work, so all four of us have been walking to school most mornings.  However, I think soon it will just be her and Chris on most days...a good Daddy/daughter bonding time. Her teachers are Mrs. King and Mrs. Torres and there are 16 kids in her class. Lunch is provided for all the kids, but I didn't know that, so I packed a lunch for Red the first two days. I tried to stop, but Delilah wouldn't have it. And she knows just what to say because her exact quote was, "Mommy, you HAVE to make my lunch. It makes me feel so loved."  Geez, kid, how can I say no to that?!?
Noelle and I pick her up at 2:15pm and walk home together. Delilah tells me everything she did that day, then walks to the front of the stroller, holds Noelle's hand and tells Noelle everything she did that day. :)
Here are some pics!

The first few pics are from the night before school. The girls & I met Chris after work to walk to the school together. We showed Delilah where she would be going every day and then we all prayed together. For the prayer, I would say a sentence or two, and Delilah would repeat it...we prayed for her classmates, her teachers, the school, and for her whole experience. I knew it would be a beautiful thing for me and Chris, but I was touched by how moved Delilah seemed to be by the prayer. She was very solemn and sweet and beautiful about the whole thing. We hope to make this a tradition!
So excited!

Delilah took this pic of her school seal

Delilah also took this pic of a mural on the school wall...she said it was so pretty and colorful that she just HAD to take a picture

Another Delilah pic

Delilah proudly showing Daddy some of the school supplies we bought

Trying on her new backpack!
 And here are a few pics from the first day of school! 

She loves her new backpack!!

Delilah took this pic of us. I'm laughing b/c she just said, "I have to take your picture. My first day of school is a big deal for you, too, Mommy!"

Our big girl in her uniform. I don't even have the words for how awesome she is.
Oh, Delilah, I am so excited about all the adventures that await you. You absolutely adore school and tell me every day that you can't wait to go back. On our walk each morning, we go over our 3 Rules for School: 1) Be nice to everyone, all the time. 2) Listen to your teacher. 3) Learn as much as you can and have fun.   I made these rules up on the fly on your first day, but your dad & I really like them so we've stuck to them.
I know I was supposed to be sad on your first day, but I just wasn't. You were so full of joy and excitement that it was impossible for me to be sad. My eyes did well up after we left and you were all settled in to your classroom, but the tears were gone as quickly as they came. But I do miss you SO MUCH. In the mornings, Noelle and I just kind of look at each other like, "Well, what do we do now?" I am sad that I have lost six hours a day of your precious self, but I am so happy for all that you are learning and experiencing.  And may you always wear crazy socks...

4 comments:

Laura said...

That's exactly what I was going to say about the socks...school uniforms can't keep that girl down. She looks thrilled with the whole experience. So glad she's having a blast.

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

I love how much she loves school! What a precious being you have there!

Franca said...

Oh my goodness...this post! These pictures!! I'm starting to tear up. She looks so cute in her little uniform. I absolutely adore the collar on her ;)I'm so excited for you and Chris as your family blossoms and grows and I just absolutely love your outlook on her first day. Sending lots of loves and hugs! xoxo.

ali k. said...

Oh, the sweetness. You Huntleys are beautiful.