Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Back Hurts

Delilah is now a big girl, so she no longer tolerates being held until she falls asleep. She must be placed in her crib awake b/c if you try and hold her, she just wiggles out of your arms. And forget having her sleep with you...she has never, not one night, slept with me and Chris. It's actually how I wanted it (I've heard it's a hard habit to break), but there have been a few sleepless nights where that crutch would have come in handy.
But tonight, for some reason, Delilah would not fall asleep. So we swayed in her rocking chair while I sang lullabies that I haven't sung for months and she fell fast asleep. I looked at her and my eyes welled with tears b/c she looked just like she did when she was a newborn. I finally stood up, with her asleep, and walked to her crib, ready to lay her down. Only I couldn't. I couldn't put her down b/c I don't know when she'll fall asleep in my arms again. So I held her and watched her breathing for as long as I physically could.
So now my back hurts.
And I am so happy.

7 comments:

TeamRiss said...

That is a good back hurt, my friend. Love it.

The Deming Four said...

oh - that is so sweet! I would have held her too! I wish I could push pause on the DVR and keep the boys this age for a while. We are having so much fun. Enjoy everyday and every minute!

The Deming Four said...

hey - we need to have a cookout this summer and have you guys down on a Saturday! Are you guys free in July sometime?

Unknown said...

I can completely empathize. Any snuggling is savored around here because it's become so rare. I guess it's a trade-off for independence and confidence, but boy do I miss that rush of mommy-hormones!

ali said...

*beautiful*

Amy Molander said...

I did exactly the same thing with Bekah the other day. She fell asleep in her carseat, so I carried her in, sat down on the couch with her and watched her sleep. I couldn't believe that just 4 short years ago she was the same size that Emery is now! Enjoy this time, because it goes by so much faster than you think!

Kele said...

So, so sweet Rachel. It is so unbelievable how quickly time flies. That is worth a good back ache if you ask me?