Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Thanksoween!

-Nope, no typo in the blog post. "Thanksoween" is now officially a holiday, at least to the Huntley and Hauschild families. When we all lived in Los Angeles, we would have Thanksgiving together, along with many of the other 'orphans' that the city has. Now that we have kiddos and live closer to our families, we realized that we probably wouldn't be having Thanksgiving together anytime soon. That was unacceptable, so one day Joie and I made up our own holiday: Thanksoween. You celebrate it the Saturday after Halloween (or on Halloween, as was the case this year), and you have a full Thanksgiving dinner while in Halloween costumes.
-Thanksoween started on Thursday when we headed to Houston to stay with my parents for a night (had a great time!!!), then continued on to Baton Rouge on Friday. On Saturday I cooked Thanksoween Dinner (with some fantastic help from Joie) and then we went Trick or Treating. The girls were having too much fun to nap on Saturday (Delilah's first day in her whole life without a nap), so we were nervous that there would be some serious meltdowns but, nope, the girls had a blast. At first we had to carry the girls to the first couple houses, but they soon got into the spirit of things and were marching up to the doors like pro's. Delilah couldn't really get out "Trick or Treat", but she did say thank you and smiled a ton at everyone. Sunday was the traditional Huntley/Hauschild mimosa brunch and then we headed home. Thanks for a FANTASTIC time Hauschilds!!!

The girls giving Runyon some love

Enjoying some apple juice in their chairs
Eating some peanut butter sandwiches at the 'kids' table' while we cooked
Eating some pizza in Kurt & Joie's room. Why are they only in their diapers? B/c they just finished getting COMPLETELY SOAKED playing in puddles outside. No wonder they didn't want to nap...who wants to miss out on that kind of fun?!?!
Delilah in her costume: Little Orphan Annie. I know I am extremely biased, but come on!--could she be any cuter?!?!!!!!
I was going to buy her Annie costume, but the ones I found online were $40-60. So I made it. Most complicated thing I've made to date (zipper, puffed sleeves, fully lined, rounded collar), so don't be surprised if I add some green to it and you see it again in a couple months as a Christmas dress. :)
Team Huntley out Trick or Treating. (Notice Delilah shoving candy in her mouth)
Can't wait for Thanksoween 2010!

11 comments:

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

It was fun!! Can't wait to do it again. Next year - your house! xoxoxo..and yes, Delilah is SO CUTE in that outfit -you got some great shots! Thanks for coming!

Cheryl Clifton said...

Delilah looks so adorable in her Annie dress!!! Love your new holiday!What fun!
love
MiMi

TeamRiss said...

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! I love the Little Orphan Annie costume...definitely the best costume of 2009. Rock!

Kele said...

ABSOLUTELY the cutest!!!
What a great tradition, you guys are so lucky to have such wonderful friends to make such beautiful memories with... very, very cool!

Meet the Browns said...

great job!!! your little orphan annie is fantastic! thanks for posting the pics and kudos on your growing sewing skills!

Matthew and Jessica Green said...

How fun!! LOVE LOVE LOVE her costume! Only Red could pull that off:)

The Deming Four said...

First - i want to come to Thanksoween next year! Put us on the list! Second - you are an AMAZING seamstress. I think you can officially call youself a "seamstress" now!!! Seriously! I agree - Delilah couldn't BE any cuter (said in my best Chandler Bing voice).

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

Awww...Annie...SOOOO CUTE!!!

Team Leslie said...

Adorable pictures, and you are an amazing seamstress!!! And of course she's adorable.
Y'all are so creative with your new holiday.

Laura said...

No! She COULD NOT be any cuter! I'm so glad to get to read your blog! Yeah!

Kristen said...

She is by far the most adorable, perfect little orphan Annie I have ever seen... and bravo on the handmade dress!!! Turned out just perfect!