Friday, May 18, 2012

First Year: Done!

I took my last final and turned in my last paper of the year yesterday.  Which means I am officially through with my first year of seminary!!!  I am EXHAUSTED.  As in, eye twitching and stomach cramping from being so tired.  I am trying so very hard to not let my schooling take me away from my family too much, so I try to fit all my work in to naptimes and after Chris has gone to bed, but there are definitely the occasional Sat/Sun afternoons when I have to slip away for a few hours to the library.  I've also taken advantage of the babysitting at my gym: I go four days a week and I work out 3 of those days, and study the other day.
I am loving it.  I actually get a runner's high from studying and my papers are usually too long instead of too short (they were always too short in college!).  I think I'm discerning the specific path I'm supposed to take, but I don't know that I'm quite ready to write about it.
I have been exposed to so much this year.  Whites are in the minority at my seminary, with the predominant races being African-American and Asian (specifically Korean).  I absolutely love the diversity.  I love that I never know what language I will hear in the halls, and I love learning about all the different traditions that people grew up with.  I am so inspired by the obstacles that some have had to overcome to attend graduate school, and I love how much everyone truly wants to be there.
I have a few weeks off, then I will begin summer school.  I have come to cherish my classes on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and the idea of waiting 3 months for the fall seems ludicrous.  But I will definitely cherish my 3 week break. :)

5 comments:

ali k. said...

Congratulations! You're on your way to new great things...

Laura said...

Congrats on being finished with your first year! I admire you so much for chasing your dreams and for always being willing to try something new.

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

Woohooo!!! Congrats and enjoy the break - and keep the runners high in your pocket to keep you going!

Franca said...

That's so completely amazing! Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment! Great to hear how much you're enjoying it too!
xoxo, Fra

runneth-over said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! So very proud of you!!