Lower Manhattan is a mess, but we here in upper Manhattan had a much easier time. Our building only lost power for about 12 hours, for which I am so grateful. We are two blocks away from the East River, and the flooding literally stopped two buildings away. On the worst night of the storm, I didn't get any sleep b/c I kept reaching down every 30 minutes to make sure our floor was dry.
All mass transit/schools/etc were closed, so Delilah was home all week. Most people also didn't have work, but Chris faithfully headed to Mt. Sinai every day to make sure the hospital was still functioning at its highest capabilities. He even walked to work in his ski pants, that's how determined he was to keep the patients safe. And I love that he doesn't even think he was doing anything special; to him, it was just what needed to be done, and of course he was going to do it.
Meanwhile, back at Hampton Court, the girls & I were having a grand time. The entire building turned into one giant playdate. The elevators were out all week to conserve power, so the stairways and hallways were always full of children running and playing. We all took turns going to different apartments, with the children playing while the adults sipped coffee, tea, or wine. :) I will say, though, that by the end of the week we all had serious cabin fever!!!!
| Red & Lyla share a sleeping bag (and pajamas!) |
| Delilah LOVED wearing the headlamp when the power was out. She is SO her father's child! |
No comments:
Post a Comment