Friday, September 12, 2008

Motherhood Thoughts

I've been doing some reflecting lately and I decided to list of a few things I've learned or noticed during the past 4 and a half months. Not the standard, expected thoughts like "I love when she giggles" or " I never knew I would love her this much"...nope, these are things nobody told me about...things I wasn't expecting:

1. My car feels empty when she's not in it
2. Sometimes I secretly hope she'll wake up in the middle of the night so that I have an excuse to bring her in our bed and snuggle.
3. Sometimes I do things just b/c I know people are watching. For example, if Delilah's pacifier falls on the carpet in her room, I don't always wash it before I give it back to her. But if it falls on the carpet in our living room with guests, I'll get up and wash it. :)
4. Despite #3, when it comes to things that matter, I don't care what anyone thinks...I will do anything to make my daughter happy and comfortable.
5. I cried the first time I made rice cereal for her b/c it meant she was growing up. (This happened this week...pics to come)
6. Lyrics to what I previously thought of as 'love songs' now make me think of Delilah. Like Aerosmith's 'Don't Want to Miss a Thing': I could stay awake just to hear you breathing. Watch you smile while you are sleeping...while you're far away and dreaming. Come on! Practically written for her!
7. I always thought that my baby's cries would annoy me or make me mad...but they don't, they just break my heart.
8. I kinda like my body with ten extra pounds on it.
9. I'm most excited about the features that look like neither Chris nor me...b/c those parts are all her and that's pretty magical.
and last, but not least,
10. I already want to have another one. But we are still planning to wait until she's at least a year old. :)

12 comments:

Matthew and Jessica Green said...

I love all of those...they are so sweet, funny, and totally you! I have to make a list like that too! And yes, my car feels empty when she isn't in it too! But sometimes I think she is in it and check the backseat a few times before it sinks in that I am, in fact, by myself:) Love you friend!

Kele said...

That made me laugh and cry!! I know you will, but that post is a definate for her baby book, precious, absolutely precious!!

Summer Athena said...

I laughed and cried too. You are such a good mom. I am glad you are posting these things. So deep! Compared to my blog - hahahah! Mine is mostly baked goods. Another bambino? Enjoy your muffin now. I love you! Let's talk soon. Lots to share. And whose b-day is it tomorrow???

ali said...

Aw, what sweet, wonderful thoughts. Yay! Keep writing!

Kate the great said...

your posts fill my heart.
sending big love for all 3 of you.
xokmk

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

I like your body with 10 extra pounds too...oh wait, is that not appropriate blog talk?

Kurt-

Rachael said...

I don't know if it's appropriate or not, but it's definitely funny.

TeamRiss said...

Those are such great things, my friend. I am not surprised but you are such a wonderful mama! Lucky little girl...

Amy Molander said...

And people always wonder why Caleb and Bekah are only 13 months apart...duh! We certainly weren't trying for Bekah, but I was so glad when I found out I was pregnant again (after the initial shock, of course) because it meant I got to do the baby thing all over again!
And just so you know, those feelings do not go away with time. Caleb will be 5 in a couple of months, and I still love to just sit next to his bed and watch him sleep. It is such a peaceful time, and even when they're too big to ask for a hug or a snuggle, they still love it when they get it.

Meet the Browns said...

rachael -
so you and i don't know each other well, but i've been keeping up with the hauschilds and you guys through the blogs and this one, well it is like you read my mind!!! :)

-karlyn

Team Leslie said...

I love your honesty....great thoughts my friend:) I remember crying when Avery was a few days old and saying, "kurt, before we know it she'll be 18 & going off to college..." Such a blessing - & responsibility - to be parents. What fun times we all have ahead.

Denise said...

Hi there!

I found your blog through Kele's blog. My 2 1/2 year old little girl has Downs Syndrome as well. I just had to leave a comment...this list had me CRYING before I got to the end of #1! I feel the EXACT same way. And it amazes me since I was one of those women who always said I didn't want to have children and tried to force my OB to agree too tying my tubes before I left the hospital while I was pregnant! But now...I would LOVE to have more children!! How do these little angels do that??

Thank you for the great list and your little one is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

Denise