Lest our girls start thinking that NYC is all legos and princesses, we decided to give them a little culture the other day. I did some research and found a small museum down in Chelsea dedicated to Himalayan art. It is not a children's museum at all, but they have done their best to make it as kid-friendly as possible. Upon arriving, they give your child a 'yak pack' backpack filled with little activities like a scavenger hunt and drawing pencils. The kids look around the museum, drawing faces, and looking for what's on their scavenger hunt. So cute! I was curious to see how Delilah would behave. I knew she wouldn't act up, but I also didn't know if she'd be into it at all. She was SO very into it. We were there for almost two hours and she was curious about everything. Ours were the only kids in the place and the other adults kept coming up to us and saying how well behaved our kids were and how great it was that we were already exposing them to art museums. One of those times where you feel like you may be doing okay at this parenting thing. Of course, after the museum we stopped at a French bistro to get some wine & snacks and Delilah threw an enormous tantrum for no reason. We had to leave the restaurant before we even ordered anything. Eh, not every moment can be a winner. We ended up eating donuts at the little outside tables set up in Union Square and Delilah played at the playground there for an hour, so it all worked out for the best.
Here are some pics from the museum:
The first thing we saw was this recreation of a Tibetan shrine. It was in its own little room and Delilah was mesmerized. She just sat and leaned on the rail and stared at everything.
Running around looking at all the art
Hey, look, I made it into a picture. I practically had to shove the camera into Chris's hands, but I was determined to not be behind the camera for the entire day. :)
Delilah ran over to this mask and started roaring and imitating his face.
"Look at this one, Daddy!"
Examining it closer
They had a table with different symbols often found in Himalayan art. No, Delilah did not draw those pictures to her right...she's not that much of a prodigy. :)
"Draw this one, Mommy"
Drawing with my little girl.
Such a fun family day in the city. Looking forward to more!
4 comments:
Great Pics- What a fabulous outing for all of you! Amazingly child friendly. Way to find those outings Rach...
You guys are the cutest...I love that first pic of Delilah...she looks so small among all the displays...adorable! And btw, you are rocking that short hair! Love it! xoxo
I love Delilah looking so cultured at the museum with her beautiful, flowing red hair. But, are you trying to say that princesses are not culture? If so, I may have a three-year-old who will be sadly disappointed.
I love how enthusiastic she was about all the art. Very cool.
Post a Comment