Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mommy/Daughter Baptism

Remember when I said this past Sunday was a very special day? I wasn't exaggerating. Delilah and I both got baptized!
Despite growing up going to Sunday school and church, I was just never baptized as a little girl for some reason. And we hadn't baptized Delilah yet b/c we wanted to do it at a church that we really loved. Well, about 8 months ago we fell in love with a Presbyterian church here in Austin and we became members at the end of last year. We knew Chris's mom would be in town last weekend, so it seemed like the right time to have the baptism.
It was a lovely service and the day was even more special than I thought it would be. One of the praise and worship songs was actually a song that Chris & I had everone sing at our wedding...wasn't that a lovely coincidence for God to arrange?
Mimi, PopPop, Aunt Kim, Uncle Ted, Grammy Di, Taylor, Lauren, Uncle Cannon, Aunt Amy, and Greyson all made it up for the big day, making it even more special.
Here are the pics Uncle Ted took during the service.

Taking a picture in front of the church bell before the service


When we first walked up there and turned to face the congregation, Delilah saw all the cameras and immediately said, "CHEESE!" You know, in that loud voice exclusive to toddlers during solemn moments in church. :)

Hey, Mom, what's going on?

Delilah started getting fidgety, so here I am singing "Twinkle, Twinkle" under my breath. She started singing quietly, too, which was really cute.

And here I am getting baptized with my sweet angel looking up at me. When we walked down to the baptismal font, Delilah said very loudly, "Water!", which made our pastor and the congregation laugh for probably the 8th time during the ceremony. My little ham.

There are no pictures of Delilah getting baptized b/c Ted switched to the video camera to record it. I will post that up shortly!

After the service, we went back to our house to continue the celebration over a big brunch. Then everyone headed home and the 3 of us promptly fell asleep. :) Thank you, God, for sharing your love with us and for providing us with such a wonderful way to mark our commitment to you.

7 comments:

runneth-over said...

What a beautiful post, Rach! How special that the two of you were able to experience it together. Thanks for sharing.
P.S. I was baptized as an adult too. ;)

The Deming Four said...

What a beautiful moment and very special time. What a wonderful example you are providing for Lilah to be a follower of Christ. She's one lucky gal to have you as her mom!

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

congrats and we are glad it was such a special, warm day!!! PS- I don't really think i was baptized either...but my mom SWEARS up and down that I was... :)

Kele said...

Lovely! You look stunning, and Delilah is adorable and sounds like she was a hoot!
It is amazing the coincidences that the Lord can arrange, and what a sweet one for your and Red's special day!

Summer Athena said...

wow! you did it! this is beautiful. I love you.

Team Leslie said...

Congrats Rach! You both looked beautiful. What a truly special day:)

TeamRiss said...

Oh wow. What a fabulous thing for the two of you. Many congrats, gorgeous girls!